“The Dangers of Gas Stoves: My Personal Experience”

As a frequent user of electric stoves, I decided to switch things up and try out a gas stove for the first time. Little did I know, this decision would result in a frightening and painful experience.


It was a typical South African day, with the government gracing us with another 8 and a half hours of load shedding. With no power, I was forced to resort to using my new gas stove to make a simple pot of tea. I had never used a gas stove before, but I figured it wouldn’t be too difficult as many of my blind friends told me that it is not that difficult to use. How wrong I was.


I turned the knob to ignite the stove, but instead of a steady flame, the gas shot out in a sudden burst, singeing the hair from my forearm. The lever was slightly skew, and I had no idea that this would cause such a dangerous reaction. I was in shock and my arm was burning. I quickly turned off the gas and ran to the sink to douse my arm in cold water.


After that frightening experience, I realized that gas stoves are not for me. They can be incredibly dangerous if not used properly, and even the slightest misalignment can result in a dangerous situation. I will never forget the feeling of the sudden burst of flame on my arm and the fright that came with it.


I am not saying that you should never use a gas stove but, for me, I will rather stay away, thank you very much.


So, I have decided that I will stick to my trusty electric stove. While it may not be available during load shedding, it is definitely safer and less hazardous. I will gladly forego a pot of tea if it means avoiding a repeat of my frightening experience with the gas stove.

Leave a Comment